[ydl-gen] YDL on PB17

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 21:01:03 MST 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:51:24 -0500 Derick Centeno
<aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:

> Warren Nagourney wrote:
> > Next, when playing with the display configuration, I managed to
> > set an excessive refresh rate so I now get gibberish on the screen.
> > Is there a simple way to reset the graphics? (through xconfig or
> > something like this using a terminal?).
> >
> Within KDE:  Click upon the K such that you see System Settings, then
> select Display.  Doing this brings up a dialog box.  Select
> Resolution and Color Depth under the Settings tab.  See what works
> for you.  Next select Monitor and Video under the Hardware tab.
> Select Apple Titanium PB G4. and the video card you have installed.

If his display is garbage, then he will not be able to see any of
that, which is why he asked for a text terminal solution.  I'm no KDE
or GNOME expert, so I can't offer any help if it's a KDE or GNOME
problem, but it might just be an X problem, and can be fixed in the
xorg.config, or xf86config depending on how old your system is. These
are probably in /etc/X11, and if you are lucky, there are backups of
those in there already.  If you are unlucky, you can always wipe them
and start from scratch.

> > Finally, can one recommend a development system for making
> > multiwindow apps using OpenGL?
> >
> Ok!  Warren you found the right place!  Instead of diving into 4.1
> why not just wait for YDL 5.0?  The desktop environment known as E17
> makes OS X look very weak.
> Of course what is even better however is that because E17 is open
> source as is everything else in YDL, you can participate with the
> various projects improving one or another thing according to your
> wishes without being blocked by anyone telling you -- no you may not
> study this!

Er, I am one of the E17 developers, and I'm here to tell you "no you
may not study this!"  B-)

Seriously, E17 is a 2D window manager, and has nothing to do with 3D or
OpenGL.  There are quite good technical reasons why using the 3D
acceleration built into graphics cards that are optimised for 3D games
is not very good for 2D window management.  The FAQs at
http://get-e.org/ go into a bit more detail.  We experimented with
OpenGL and found that it only slowed E17 down with most graphics
cards and their linux drivers.  As far as I know none of us E17
developers have had a chance to experiment with Cell processors, and
there is no code in E17 to take advantage of their extra grunt.  raster
and I have been speeding up E17 dramatically recently, and we would
both love to get our hands on a PS3 for more optimisation work.

On the other hand, since a window manager has no business doing
anything to the contents of the windows it manages, there is nothing
wrong with running OpenGL inside those windows.  I do it all the time.
In this case, E17 is an excellent window manager, even if I do say so
myself.  B-)