[ydl-gen] YDL on PB17

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Oct 31 20:29:06 MST 2006

Don't worry Warren.

Norberto and I have worked together submitting technical articles in
the past at a website which has seen better days.
We differ in some interesting ways and sometimes well... you see the
result.

It certainly can appear personal, however it isn't.  I believe
Norberto is being hyper-rational in his analysis as a counter-
reaction against his being "a YDL hack".  I can't tell yet whether
his accusation of my doing PR (which I'm not) is because he's jealous
or annoyed.  However, what I do isn't the point, really.  What is the
point is that YDL is a hell of a professional product for the PowerPC
architecture and Norberto knows it to be so.

As Apple has abandoned the field of powerful processors and settled
for those commonly available, this will give a chance for TSS to
demonstrate what it can do.  TSS has cut it's teeth in very
challenging conditions, for it to find a way to remain
technologically viable given new market conditions is not a matter of
mere fine placement of words of PR but hard technological and
engineering achievement!  Norberto knows that, and I know that he
knows that.

Here's some past history regarding TSS:

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/34647.html

Here's a story about TSS effort that's more current.  I've worked
with several supercomputing systems in the past but this is really
interesting.  TSS (together with Sony Computer Entertainment has
devised and are the first to roll-out a supercomputing cluster!
Check it out:

http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/20980

Should something outrageous for those disciplined and skilled enough
to make use of it is being made available as never before by
combining a Cell with YDL 5 -- I  certainly think so!  I've already
called it elsewhere a Starship for the mind.  Ok, I may be over the top.
But really I don't believe by very much.  Each will have to discover
what the PS3 with YDL 5 means for oneself.

I think those who really get it, will be quietly stunned for a long
time.  I bet Norberto will be among them.  So will I and others.
What will be deeply interesting is how long the open source community
will push beyond whatever is released and make new contributions in
new directions.  That is what, for me, makes open source completely
more interesting than the models currently in use by Apple and
Microsoft.  There really is nothing like the wild and unpredictable
creativity of a planet-wide community of thinkers.

In my view, I don't think that we can yet say can occur when the PS3
and YDL 5 is finally available.  This launch could be meaningful or
it could be as Norberto states - a flop.

I don't think it will be a flop.

I have in mind the famous story of how Tesla developed and
demonstrated the first model of a working robotic submarine to the US
Navy, and they turned it down deeming it impractical.  It was
completely misunderstood, but it wasn't a flop.

I think that the current attraction that people have for game power
will attract people -- when people also realize that with YDL 5 they
will have a powerful working computer with access to free software
without further cost, people will get it.  I have no idea how fast
that will take but it will be interesting to see what people do with
this unprecedented flexibility.  I guess we all will find out.