[ydl-gen] can yum use local RPMs?

John Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 7 17:23:06 MDT 2007

I just installed YDL 5.01 on my Mac mini(ppc).  Download and
burn of the iso, and the installation, went smoothly. (I am
a bit surprised not to have seen much traffic here about YDL5
on Mac hardware since 5.01 was released;  I guess Linux on
the Mac ppc platform is even deader than I had thought...).

I don't much care for E17 so far, nor for the incarnation of
Gnome that is supplied, so I would like to install KDE.  I
find it intensely frustrating that I can't find any way of
configuring yum to obtain the RPMs from the installation DVD
that is locally mounted, instead of downloading them from a
repository.  The alternative of asking rpm to install one
package at a time (or a group of packages), making note of
the dependencies, installing them and making note of further
dependencies, etc, is even more distasteful.  Is there a
way of configuring yum so that it can use the RPMS that are
already available locally?  I tried just setting the .repo
files baseurls to baseurl=file:///<path to mounted dvd RPMS
directory>, but it complained about the absence of the
repodata information.

Any suggestions much appreciated,

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright(at)ucsd(dot)edu; phone: 858-534-3049