[ydl-gen] Fwd: can yum use local RPMs?

Christopher Murtagh cmurtagh at terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 7 19:03:24 MDT 2007

On Saturday 07 April 2007, John Wright wrote:
> I don't much care for E17 so far, nor for the incarnation of
> Gnome that is supplied, so I would like to install KDE.  I
> find it intensely frustrating that I can't find any way of
> configuring yum to obtain the RPMs from the installation DVD
> that is locally mounted, instead of downloading them from a
> repository.

 Ok, here's how you do this.

 1) Find the mountpoint or mount the disk to a specific path.

 2) As root, edit /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo

 3) Comment out the 'mirrorlist' line by putting a '#' in front of it (same as
the baseurl line)

 4) Add another line:

baseurl=file:///mnt/yellowdog

where '/mnt/yellowdog' is the path to the root directory (notice the 3 slashes
in that file:// URL).

 5) edit the other files in that folder (yellowdog-extras.repo and
yellowdog-updates.repo) and changed 'enabled=1' to 'enabled=0'.

 6) yum install kdebase kdeartwork kdemultimedia kdegraphics kdepim kdeaddons
kdeedu kdeadmin kdelibs kdegames kdenetwork

And that should get you KDE.

Cheers,

Chris