[ydl-gen] ydl on PS3 without optical drive

Gaurav Khanna gkhanna at umassd.edu
Thu Aug 2 07:45:30 MDT 2007

Well, this is a Japanese PS3 which is not easily serviceable in the
US. Your suggestion I had tried already, it seems like if you change
hard drives, the PS3 (hypervisor) wants to reformat it right away, no
matter what. Essentially, the PS3 recognizes it as a new drive and
reformats it right away, erasing all the partitions!

Last night, I even tried swapping out the blue-ray drive. Even that
didn't work. The blue-ray  drive responds, but is unable to mount any
disks.

 >Surely it is still returnable as thePS3 has not even been out a
year? Anyway
 >if it is a spare off ebay, remove the hard drive, plug it in your
working
 >one and install linux on that. Then remove the drive and plug it in
to the
 >broken one.

GAURAV KHANNA
UMass Dartmouth, Physics
(508) 910 6605
http://gravity.phy.umassd.edu/

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright