[ydl-gen] PS3 1080p Framebuffer

Mark Jeffree mjeffree at ydl.net
Fri Aug 17 21:13:10 MDT 2007

>On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:34:07 -0700 Chris Brown <cmb-msn at chibi.ca>
>wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to get the PS3 to display full 1920x1080 (1080p) on a
>> monitor.  In the PS3 game-os, this resolution works just fine (also
>> works with the cable box).
>>
>> I have managed to get my PS3 YDL to boot up in 1080p mode as
>> recommended in the HOWTOs (first testing with ps3videomode then
>> modifying kboot.conf),
>
>Does it actually boot into 1080p mode though?  Does a text console
>display at 1080p?  Does a text console use all of the screen?
>
>> however I run into one of a couple of problems
> when X starts depending on how xorg.conf is configured.
>
>Might just be some strange limitation of X or the framebuffer.
>
>> which almost files the screen top-to-bottom, but only fills about 2/3
>> of the width of the screen.
>
>Looks like you are actually getting 1080p, but X is having difficulty
>with that.  I don't have a suitable monitor for testing that out with.
>
>Has anybody else managed 1080p in X an a PS3?

Yes, I have.

I am using a BenQ FP241W in 1080p mode via HDMI, using mode 170
(=42+128). For the first few days this was blurry and disappointing,
but I eventually found the 1:1 pixel mapping option in the monitor
setup and everything sharpened up. However, the trade off is that as
the monitor is natively 1920x1200, I have black bars top and bottom.
(The blurriness was a result of the monitor resampling the image to
fill the screen.)

The WUXGA mode 13 (1920x1200) completely failed (blank screen), even
under ps3videomode.

I am mostly running on KDE, but GNOME seems OK too.