[ydl-gen] Boot an iBook from an iPod (YDL 4.1)? - addendum

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Aug 26 21:42:10 MDT 2007

I believe I recall that YDL 4 or 4.1 can run from an iPod but that is
not the same thing as running anaconda (the standard YDL installer)
from the iPod so that YDL is installed onto the G3 iBook.

If you've a desktop Mac somewhere and you've a bit of mechanical skill
and some cash (just about $89+) perhaps this problem can be resolved.

Explanation:
You could remove the CD ROM/RW or DVD-RW that may be currently sitting
with the desktop mac.  Instead install it into another device (called
an enclosure) which can carry not only it, but also a 3.5 inch hard
drive and also contains a 6-in-1 card reader (CF I/II, MD, SD, MMC ,
MS/MS PRO) which can be connected to any computer (including that g3
laptop) with a USB 2.0 port. You can read about that enclosure here:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/88dc/

There are other optical drive enclosures but they only do one thing
and you could be, at this point, looking for ways to expand function
of devices without losing space.  This could be one way to do that.  If
that particular enclosure just is too much there are a variety of
optical drive enclosures available via the web.

Remember that the isos for YDL4 have to be downloaded and burnt onto
CDs.  After the YDl 4.1 CDs exist then you can run anaconda from those
CDs onto the g3 ibook via booting the computer from the CD running from
the optical drive running within an enclosure.  I don't have the
particular device I'm telling you about, but I have booted my laptop
from a YDL CD running from an optical drive installed into a different
enclosure designed to house optical drives. Believe me the computer
doesn't know the difference.  Booting from an CD even though the
optical drive is external to the computer will work however booting YDL
from an external hard drive will not.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:52:54 -0600
"執事尼古拉" <DeaconNikolai at Stanosheck.com> wrote:

> My daughter's original G3 iBook (266mhz I believe) had it's CD ROM
> drive die when I was in the middle of  upgrading her Mac OS X 10.2
> install to 10.3 and so it is unbootable. I know YDL 5 no longer is
> bootable from an external drive, but can I boot one of these iBooks
> using YDL 4.1 if I install it on an iPod? Could I also install YDL
> 4.1 on the iBook from said iPod? Just wondering.

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.