[ydl-gen] 1920x1200 on PS3 - problem solved

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Sat Dec 22 18:02:46 MST 2007

I returned the LG monitor (24", 1920x1200, HDMI) for a similar BenQ
model (fp241w) and the latter worked perfectly at 1920x1200 with no
fiddling. The key is for the monitor to allow 1:1 pixel mapping
regardless of the input. The LG didn't allow this with an HDMI input
and therefore didn't work well with the PS3, which is too bad, since
it is a nice monitor otherwise and is readily available (I needed to
mail order the BenQ and had a nightmarish time with the cretins at
Fedex).

I found a curious anomaly - in order for the fp241w to work, one
needed to use the DVI input (and an HDMI to DVI adaptor or cable). I
tried the HDMI input and an HDMI cable which came with the unit and
got a blue screen (after using the menu to switch the input to HDMI).
This is mysterious, since I thought that the video portions of DVI
and HDMI were identical.

I know of only three 24" HDMI monitors with 1920x1200 native
resolution: the LG, the BenQ and a Dell. I have heard that the Dell
requires a (pricey) HDMI to VGA adaptor to work at 1920x1200 (for
example, the HDFury). So, of the known (to me) monitors, it appears
that only the BenQ works well. They are, I believe, all priced
similarly.

With a 1920x1200 monitor, the accelerated Xorg and a lean Window
Manager (I use Wmaker), PS3 linux is quite usable as a desktop
computer. The memory issue still needs to be addressed, but things
are tolerable if one doesn't open too many windows (the first symptom
of low memory is slow scrolling in a Web browser - I use Opera, which
seems much faster than the others in scrolling and browsing).

Warren Nagourney