[ydl-gen] [SPAM] Re: My gcc3.4.4 installationscrewed upon ydl4.1

Richardson, Joshua A. Joshua.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Thu Feb 8 06:43:30 MST 2007

Hola,

If you use the --aid flag with rpm, it would be happy to let you know
what dependencies you may have with gcc, although I concur that yum may
be easier, let's be clear on what rpm can and cannot do.  That being
said, I'm not a fan of rpm, and would always rather compile from source,
but that's another topic for another day.

I do want to say this though.  Reinstalling to fix a problem with a
package is a poor, poor way to handle a problem, and is in no way a fix.
I find it comparable to cutting your arm off due to a hangnail.  There
were problems similar to these on RHCT/RHCE exams, and it was made quite
clear that a reinstall was not an acceptable solution.  I saw one guy
not pay attention and fail the whole exam because he decided to
reinstall.  Have things gotten to the point, where we as supposedly
technical people, find that the best and easiest solution is to
completely reinstall an operating system?  I personally find that
appalling.  And let me be clear on this, I'm not attacking Vincent for
his decision to reinstall.  Vincent seems to be a new linux user/admin
and is just following what he sees as advice from someone who knows what
they're doing.  Derrick, you on the other hand are clearly offering your
advice as a knowledgeable source on linux and your first suggestion to
him is to reinstall?  I would think that, as a linux admin your first
instinct would be, cool, let's fix it, not 'let's blow the whole thing
away'.  I think if anything, if Vincent has the time and flexibility to
mess with the broken system, even if he never resolved his issue, he
would have learned and become a better admin for trying than he has for
reinstalling.  I know I have.

I do however agree with Derrick on one item.  A technical notebook is a
great idea.  I keep one, and use it when I'm trying new things or
dorking with something that has a lot command line changes being made to
it.

Joshua A. Richardson
(703) 272-1761 -- Office
(540) 383-9093 - Cell