[ydl-gen] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: My gcc3.4.4 installationscrewed upon ydl4.1

Vincent Li vli at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Feb 8 11:01:43 MST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Richardson, Joshua A. wrote:

> Hola,
>
> If you use the --aid flag with rpm, it would be happy to let you know
> what dependencies you may have with gcc, although I concur that yum may
> be easier, let's be clear on what rpm can and cannot do.  That being
> said, I'm not a fan of rpm, and would always rather compile from source,
> but that's another topic for another day.

It has been long time I did not use rpm since  yum came out. I only
compile source which I am familiar with.

> I do want to say this though.  Reinstalling to fix a problem with a
> package is a poor, poor way to handle a problem, and is in no way a fix.
> I find it comparable to cutting your arm off due to a hangnail.  There
> were problems similar to these on RHCT/RHCE exams, and it was made quite
> clear that a reinstall was not an acceptable solution.  I saw one guy
> not pay attention and fail the whole exam because he decided to
> reinstall.  Have things gotten to the point, where we as supposedly
> technical people, find that the best and easiest solution is to
> completely reinstall an operating system?  I personally find that
> appalling.  And let me be clear on this, I'm not attacking Vincent for
> his decision to reinstall.  Vincent seems to be a new linux user/admin
> and is just following what he sees as advice from someone who knows what
> they're doing.  Derrick, you on the other hand are clearly offering your
> advice as a knowledgeable source on linux and your first suggestion to
> him is to reinstall?  I would think that, as a linux admin your first
> instinct would be, cool, let's fix it, not 'let's blow the whole thing
> away'.  I think if anything, if Vincent has the time and flexibility to
> mess with the broken system, even if he never resolved his issue, he
> would have learned and become a better admin for trying than he has for
> reinstalling.  I know I have.

Your idea are taken. I  have been an unix/linux admin over 8 years, but I
still made a studpid mistake, that is very rare. Believe me, I have been
through a lot of breaking and fixing. :)

> I do however agree with Derrick on one item.  A technical notebook is a
> great idea.  I keep one, and use it when I'm trying new things or
> dorking with something that has a lot command line changes being made to
> it.

My technical note scattered everywhere on my computer, whenever I switched
jobs, or computers, I lost my technical note. I am bad at keeping my
technical note, that should be improved :). Since last year, I begin to
put some of technical note on my blog http://bl0g.blogdns.com so I can
access anywhere.

Anyway, Thank you for the advice. I  appreciate all the help I get from
here.

Vincent