[ydl-gen] Graphical package installation app?

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 19 22:05:23 MST 2007

Hi Dave,

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Yellow Dog User wrote:

> Hi All--
>
> I just installed Yellowdog 4.1 a week or so ago; I'm newly
> back to Linux after having been in Windows-world for about
> ten years.  Sorry if this question is answered somewhere
> obvious, but I haven't been able to find the answer, in
> the archives, on TerraSoft's web site, etc...
>
> Is there some convenient graphical application in
> YellowDog 4.1 for finding and adding software packages?  I
> find the command line yum on here, but I'm wondering if
> there's a good graphical easy-to-use "modern" way of doing
> package management on here, that I haven't figured out how
> to look for.

I haven't used it myself so can't really critique it, but there's
a KDE app called kyum that's a graphical frontend to yum.  It's
not included as part of YellowDog Linux, but there are Fedora
RPMs available (there are FC4 PPC RPMs available but I'm not
sure if they are compatible with YellowDog so you may have to
build it from a source RPM).  Perhaps someone else has used kyum
and can advise on its usefulness (I use yum directly from the
command line and find it quite easy to use that way so haven't
further pursued kyum).

> Thanks much--
>
> --Dave

						-Bill