[ydl-gen] cheapest, best display for PS3

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 21:14:09 MST 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:58 -0600 Nathan Moore <ntmoore at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This discussion have been fantastic.  The article from
> firingsquad.com seems to make clear why Sony won't support a plain
> old dvi connection - it sounds like piracy problems would be
> implicit in that opening.

The computer friendly VESA modes are not available from the GameOS, so
there is no excuse for not making them available over plain old DVI with
no HDCP.  Also, since ssh+X11 works fine for getting a Linux display
through to a DVI monitor, saying its for anti piracy reasons is just
blowing smoke.

The thing about all this DRM and anti piracy shit is that it never
stops the actual pirates, and hardly even slows them down.  All it ever
does is get in the way of legitimate users.  Like stopping me from
using a PS3 as an ordinary computer on ordinary computer displays.

<end rant>  It's been a frustrating day trying to automate ssh+x11 so
that all I need to do is type my password.  I had to rant somewhere,
this seemed like a good place.  B-)

If Sony had not inflicted this HDCP crap on us in the first place, I
would not be struggling all day with a three line script.