[ydl-gen] cheapest, best display for PS3

Jonathan Bartlett jonathan at newmedio.com
Mon Feb 26 04:18:29 MST 2007

>The thing about all this DRM and anti piracy shit is that it never
>stops the actual pirates, and hardly even slows them down.  All it ever
>does is get in the way of legitimate users.  Like stopping me from
>using a PS3 as an ordinary computer on ordinary computer displays.

What's really interesting is that even Apple, who benefits as much as
anyone from DRM, is pushing against it:

The third alternative is to abolish DRMs entirely. Imagine a world where
every online store sells DRM-free music encoded in open licensable
formats. In such a world, any player can play music purchased from any
store, and any store can sell music which is playable on all players.
This is clearly the best alternative for consumers, and Apple would
embrace it in a heartbeat. If the big four music companies would license
Apple their music without the requirement that it be protected with a
DRM, we would switch to selling only DRM-free music on our iTunes store.
Every iPod ever made will play this DRM-free music.

Why would the big four music companies agree to let Apple and others
distribute their music without using DRM systems to protect it? The
simplest answer is because DRMs haven't worked, and may never work, to
halt music piracy. Though the big four music companies require that all
their music sold online be protected with DRMs, these same music
companies continue to sell billions of CDs a year which contain
completely unprotected music. That's right! No DRM system was ever
developed for the CD, so all the music distributed on CDs can be easily
uploaded to the Internet, then (illegally) downloaded and played on any
computer or player.

In 2006, under 2 billion DRM-protected songs were sold worldwide by
online stores, while over 20 billion songs were sold completely
DRM-free  and unprotected on CDs by the music companies themselves. The
music companies sell the vast majority of their music DRM-free, and show
no signs of changing this behavior, since the overwhelming majority of
their revenues depend on selling CDs which must play in CD players that
support no DRM system.

So if the music companies are selling over 90 percent of their music
DRM-free, what benefits do they get from selling the remaining small
percentage of their music encumbered with a DRM system? There appear to
be none. If anything, the technical expertise and overhead required to
create, operate and update a DRM system has limited the number of
participants selling DRM protected music. If such requirements were
removed, the music industry might experience an influx of new companies
willing to invest in innovative new stores and players. This can only be
seen as a positive by the music companies.

(from http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/ )

Jon