[ydl-gen] cheapest, best display for PS3

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 05:14:01 MST 2007

> On Feb 25, 2007, at 11:14 PM, David Seikel wrote:
>
> > <end rant>  It's been a frustrating day trying to automate ssh+x11
> > so that all I need to do is type my password.  I had to rant
> > somewhere, this seemed like a good place.  B-)
> >
> > If Sony had not inflicted this HDCP crap on us in the first place, I
> > would not be struggling all day with a three line script.

Finally got it to work, and managed to turn it into a single two line
script.  Well, to be pedantic, only two complex lines, there are a
couple of dozen lines of really simple stuff like assigning values to
variables and flow control.

Originally it was turning into three single line scripts due to the
nature of the problem.  There are six programs that call each other in
a nested way, each setting up the environment for the next before
passing the baton.  Each of these provides it's own layered part of the
puzzle.  Each of them has it's own command line arguments, which is why
it was painful just putting them all in one line.  Way to complicated
trying to figure out which arguments / environment belonged to which
layer.

I still have to call the script recursively half way through the
procedure to get it to work at all.

The really frustrating part is that some subtle difference in the
environment prevented this from working properly from an interactively
called script.  Worked fine when I type the commands in manually,
worked fine when the script is called during boot.  But kept failing
when testing the script from a shell.  I eventually figured out I had
to reboot to test each change to the script, then development finally
managed to progress.  Lucky I wanted it to be a boot script anyway.

Now when I boot, I end up with two X's running.  The extra one runs on
a spare virtual terminal, and is asking me for the pass phrase that
unlocks my ssh key.  After I type in a valid pass phrase, it ssh's to
my PS3 and tunnels the window manager through to itself.  After I quit
the window manager, it starts again.  This gives me a secure networked X
connection to my PS3 and all I have to do is type the pass phrase,
everything else is entirely automated.  A simple keystroke switches
between the local X and the remote X.

At the moment it's hard coded to my specific requirements, and not at
all generic.  I'll try to make it more generic later and then post it
here for everybody else to use.  Right now I have some alien / orc /
undead arse to kick for the rest of the night.  B-)