[ydl-gen] cheapest, best display for PS3

Anthony Loeppert aloeppert at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 12:34:45 MST 2007

--- Derick Centeno <aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm really interested in the Cell technology, however as I learned
> more regarding the difficulties reported here I had to really
> consider whether the cost of time mastering it was worth sacrificing
> other aspects of my already limited personal life.  I'm as curious
> and dedicated as anyone else which has participated here in this and
> other discussions, in regards to technical stuff.

You can always try the simulator (plus eclipse IDE, and SDK etc.) ibm provides.
 It is free (I think there is some registration to do).  You need a linux
machine with a beefy processor (and fedora is the supported distro) and a
decent amount of RAM.  I run it on a 1.8Ghz Merom (core 2 duo for laptops for
those that don't know) and it is a bit sluggish (a second or two between code
steps in the debugger for instance) but considering it is basically a full
virtualization of a cell computer ( and on top of that virtualization, runs ppc
linux ) it is not a surprise.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/downloads.html