[ydl-gen] Video modes on the PS3

Rob Nava robnava at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:42:21 MST 2007

Did you try switching to 'root' before running ps3videomode?  I'm pretty
sure non-root users can't run it.

If you're using a Samsung 940b, you're native resolution is actually 1280 x
1024 (http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19HABKBXAA.asp).

Also, if you add 128 to whatever mode you want to run in, you can get the
true resoultion expected.  Normally, the PS3 compensates for the overscan on
Televisions that would make the edges of the video be 'off screen'.

I run in 1080p mode with ps3video 131 (mode 3 + 128 for non-overscan mode).

Try ps3videomode 140 on that 940B (1280 × 1024 with non-overscan mode.)

Also, running ps3videomode from the enlightenment desktop would screw up the
video pretty badly for me.  So try changing the kboot.conf file to offer
different ps3video options.

-Rob

On 1/8/07, Warren Nagourney <warren at phys.washington.edu> wrote:

> I have done some investigation of the various video modes on the PS3
> (in Linux) and find that one is not very badly compromised when using
> a standard computer monitor.
>
> First, there are at least 3 VESA modes which are the same as standard
> computer modes (at 60 Hz):
>
> Mode 11  -  1280x768
> Mode 12  -  1280x1024
> Mode 13  -  1920x1200
>
> I am considering trying numbers >13 to see what happens. After all,
> the RSX is a modified NVIDIA GPU and they probably support lots of
> modes in addition to the published ones. All I need is a working
> "ps3videomode" command - it was not installed with the standard YDL5
> installation (nor was "emacs", "locate" and a host of other nice
> commands - does anyone know an easy way to get them all without
> installing the RPMs individually?)
>
> These three modes work on my Samsung 940B (using the digital port)
> whose native resolution is 1440x900. I was blown away that the
> 1920x1200 worked, though the monitor put up a little message
> complaining about it. Of course, they were all scaled and looked more
> or less fuzzy (actually the 1920x1200 was best, but I got a headache
> from the fuzziness using it for any time). I believe that using a DVI-
> VGA adaptor should allow the monitor to avoid scaling at the expense
> of a small dark border (on modes 11 and 12).
>
> By the way, the Samsung monitor is HDCP compliant, but I find it hard
> to believe that this matters for anything except (possibly) playing a
> BlueRay movie. I am pretty sure it doesn't matter in Linux.
>
> The bottom line is that one can get good video using a fairly cheap
> 1280x1024 LCD monitor (I have seen them for $150 or less). Video
> acceleration is another matter...
>
> -wn

Listen to my fresh, new Podcast episodes every week!
The Jaded Gamers: http://thejadedgamers.blogspot.com - 12/07/06 - "Be Safe
out There"
*69 Poker: http://star69poker.blogspot.com - 11/20/06 - Season 5 Week 6 -
"Betting Out"