[ydl-gen] Video modes on the PS3

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 9 00:48:38 MST 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007, Warren Nagourney wrote:

> I am afraid that I was unsuccessful in installing two of the programs:
> emacs installed but wouldn't work (something about a color which wasn't
> installed) and "locate" wasn't found (how ironic). This is the first
> linux installation which I have ever seen without a working emacs. The
> yum configuration files weren't set up properly (after a half hour of
> googling, I figured it out). Something also not mentioned in the docs
> was the location of ps3videomode (in /sbin). Of course without locate,
> it was a little difficult to find. Again, is there a way to complete the
> installation from the DVD without spending a lot of time with RPMs?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -wn

Hi Warren,

For locate, use "yum install slocate" which should include locate.
You could have done "yum search locate" which would have listed a
number of RPMs with locate in their name or description, among
them slocate.  It does seem strange that this wasn't installed
by default.

Since I had locate on my system, I just did:

gwiz% rpm -qf `which locate`
slocate-2.7-22

						-Bill