[ydl-gen] Video modes on the PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jan 8 20:31:16 MST 2007

Apparently your conjecture is correct: the PS3 requires an HDCP
monitor to display video. I brought home a working Viewsonic VA712b
monitor whose native resolution is 1280x1024 and wasn't able to get
an image. Interestingly, the monitor's info panel indicated that it
was getting the proper signals and displayed the correct resolution,
but there was no information on the screen (I turned up the brightness).

So I guess I need to get a 1280x1024 HDCP monitor or live with the
awful scaled display on the Samsung. This would be hard - it is bad
enough that moving a window reminds me of machines of a decade ago
(like my NeXT) which lacked fast video, but to have a horrible
looking display as well is too much.

By the way, I tried the "full screen mode" using mode number 139
(full screen at 1280x720). I got a garbled image on the screen, then
nothing. The display info panel gave the correct resolution.

-wn