[ydl-gen] yet another new PS3 Linux user :-)

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Mon Jan 8 22:00:57 MST 2007

Hello, all ...

Running Linux (read: playing with the Cell SDK) is the biggest reason
I bought a PS3 (though I admit, it is graphically impressive and I
find myself sometimes playing the MotorStorm demo).  I'm a longtime
Linux user (I started with MkLinux) and i'm looking forward to seeing
what the PS3 will do -- plus, I want to see if I can get some C++
code I wrote for Windows and Mac OSX running on it :-)

I've a likely silly question: The boot screen looks a bit different
-- what do the 2 blue Yellow Dog images mean?  The SPU images are
obvious, but is the Cells' main PPC core actually a dual-core, or the
PPC version of HyperThreading, or something else?

Another silly question: I don't like RPM much, I prefer Debian's apt
or Gentoo's emerge.  Will either of these work on the PS3 currently?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com