[ydl-gen] New user

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 02:15:23 MST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:59:17 -0000 "Paul Baxter"
<pauljbaxter at hotmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW
>
> HDCP is required for using a monitor with Linux *from the HDMI*
> output. Nothing to stop you using alternatives (component) without
> HDCP. Perhaps that's what David is doing with his LCD panel.
>
> Less sure on the PS3 game OS; you may be able to not have the HDCP
> restriction with HDMI except with Blu-Ray disks requiring content
> protection.

Component video through a component to VGA transcoder at 720p is what
I'm currently using.  Works fine on the GameOS as well.  I dunno about
content protected Blu-Ray disks, I don't have any.  The Talladega
Nights Blu-Ray disk that comes with the PS3 works better in 720p than
most DVDs do.  No de interlacing artifacts, and no compression
artifacts that I can spot.

On the other hand, kboot runs at 480i, and my component solution
doesn't work for my monitor at 480i.  I can pass that via composite
through my TV card and then to a TV program running on my other
computer.  It's hardly usable though.  S-Video should work slightly
better, but I don't have a PS3 to S-Video cable.

I haven't finished experimenting yet, I may come up with a better
solution.

It does boil down to many ways of getting video out of the PS3, and
many types of monitor with varied restrictions at either end, and
sometimes restrictions in the middle.  Suck it and see, if it doesn't
work, try something else.