[ydl-gen] New user

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 06:20:40 MST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:03:05 -0500 "Jimmy Lee" <jjklee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info on leasefail, I used XMB to partition the HDD.
> Is there any other software I can use to partition the HDD?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

On the PS3 there are two different "partition the hard disk" concepts.
It's confusing I know, but that's the way Sony made it.  Probably to
keep pirates out of the GameOS partition.

If you have followed the YDL install instructions, you would know how
to do this.

The GameOS needs to be used first to partition the hard disk into two
partitions.  One of these will be 10 GB, the other will be the rest.
There is no other choice in sizes.  From these two partitions, one will
be for the GameOS, the other will be for what Sony calls "Other OS", in
this case, YDL.  Either one of these two partitions can be the 10 GB
one, you choose this at the time you do this.

Once this step is complete, the GameOS will never see the Other OS
partition, and the Other OS will never see tho GameOS partition.

Then you start installing the Other OS, it only sees it's part of the
hard drive, but you will need to partition and format that part as
needed by the Other OS.  If you have not followed the YDL install
directions, and used the GameOS to split the hard drive into two parts,
then YDL will not have anywhere to install itself.