[ydl-gen] Video Monitors--2

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Tue Jan 9 09:57:09 MST 2007

that even when one solves the monitor problem - obtains a sharp image
on the monitor - one will still be left with unaccelerated video.
People differ in their response to this - many don't find it that
objectionable.  I do, unfortunately.

Moving windows around (particularly Firefox windows, for some reason)
results in very very jerky motion with lots of artifacts like window
outlines appearing momentarily. This is extremely displeasing to me -
it is almost as bad as fuzzy video. The contrast between the PS3 and
my powerbook on the adjacent table is shocking. My approach will be
to use the powerbook as the front end using ssh or Xwindows and do
Cell programing. The PS3 video for me will always be somewhat
unpleasant (until they - or someone else - gives us video
acceleration, a not very likely prospect).

-wn