[ydl-gen] New user

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 12:52:20 MST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:00:20 -0800 Warren Nagourney
<warren at phys.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2007, at 1:15 AM, David Seikel wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:59:17 -0000 "Paul Baxter"
> > <pauljbaxter at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> FWIW
> >>
> >> HDCP is required for using a monitor with Linux *from the HDMI*
> >> output. Nothing to stop you using alternatives (component) without
> >> HDCP. Perhaps that's what David is doing with his LCD panel.
> >>
> >> Less sure on the PS3 game OS; you may be able to not have the HDCP
> >> restriction with HDMI except with Blu-Ray disks requiring content
> >> protection.
> >
> > Component video through a component to VGA transcoder at 720p is
> > what I'm currently using.  Works fine on the GameOS as well.  I
> > dunno about content protected Blu-Ray disks, I don't have any.  The
> > Talladega Nights Blu-Ray disk that comes with the PS3 works better
> > in 720p than most DVDs do.  No de interlacing artifacts, and no
> > compression artifacts that I can spot.
> >
> > On the other hand, kboot runs at 480i, and my component solution
> > doesn't work for my monitor at 480i.  I can pass that via composite
> > through my TV card and then to a TV program running on my other
> > computer.  It's hardly usable though.  S-Video should work slightly
> > better, but I don't have a PS3 to S-Video cable.
> >
> > I haven't finished experimenting yet, I may come up with a better
> > solution.
> >
> > It does boil down to many ways of getting video out of the PS3, and
> > many types of monitor with varied restrictions at either end, and
> > sometimes restrictions in the middle.  Suck it and see, if it
> > doesn't work, try something else.
>
> Could you please be a little more specific about your configuration?
> I saw on the web a device from Vdigi electronics which claims to do
> what you describe but mentions only the PS2 in its manual (the ad
> mentions the PS3). I assume you obtained a component cable for the
> PS3 as well (the cable which comes with the PS3 is only composite
> video). The total cost of these two devices is about $100, which is

Yes, I am using the Vdigi transcoder device, but I am using it with a
PS2 component cable.  As I said above, I'm still experimenting, I have
a feeling I will find a better solution.

> a little high. I might try exchanging my Samsung 940BW for a 940B
> which is supposedly HDCP compliant and use the HDMI port as I am
> doing now.

Having a HDCP capable monitor is probably the way to go to get the best
out of the PS3.  Especially if it can handle all the resolutions that a
PS3 can display.

> I assume that with analogue video, your monitor can display the
> image without scaling (with a border around the image in most cases)?

Scaling will be monitor / TV dependant.  Some will scale, some will
letterbox.  Mine scales.