[ydl-gen] xemacs, emacs

John Dey jsdey at optonline.net
Wed Jan 17 12:37:36 MST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 12:39 AM, Bill Fink wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, John Dey wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I evoke  xemacs and emacs from xterm,  I get the following
>> warnings:
>>
>> [robo9 at robo9 ~]$ xemacs
>> Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
>> Warning: Color name "Blue" is not defined
>> Warning: Color name "Red" is not defined
>> Warning: Color name "Maroon" is not defined
>> Warning: Color name "ForestGreen" is not defined
>> [robo9 at robo9 ~]$ emacs
>> Undefined color: "black"
>> [robo9 at robo9 ~]$
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea on how I might fix the configuration?  Any
>> help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>> John
>
> Hi John,
>
> Those colors sound like the X colors defined in /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt.
>
> gwiz% grep ForestGreen /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt
>  34 139  34             ForestGreen
>
> Although I would think this file should be installed by default.
> On my YDL 4.1 system, the rgb.txt file is part of the package:
>
> gwiz% rpm -qf /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt
> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.4.ydl.2
>
> You could also try to run emacs as "emacs -nw" to run it in
> non-windowed mode.
>
> 						-Hope this helps
>
> 						-Bill

Bill,

I found the rgb.txt file on the system. But in YDL 5 it is located in
/usr/share/X11 not as you suggested.  The file comes from the package
xorg-x11-server-utils-1.0.1-1.2.  Maybe the color definition comes from
another file or maybe xemacs is not configured correctly to find the
file?  Thanks for your suggestions.

John