[ydl-gen] About permissions, etc.

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jan 24 07:21:06 MST 2007

Hi Charles:

I was wondering wouldn't it be simpler to merely control user access
to the cdrw by changing the user assignments?

I'm referring to the UID/GID.  In other words:

1.  For instance one could change the shell the user can use.  Which
by definition restricts what a user can do.
2.  Assign the user to a GID where directory access to /mnt/cdrw is
not permitted.

I'm guessing, hopefully in a reasoned manner, that the error you're
getting regarding SigmaX is because it is in fact a cdrw which puts
in under the administration of cdrecord, which provides info. to
Linux as though it were a SCSI device -- allowing it (when mounted)
to appear as another HD.
Of course, it isn't.

This is why I thought it would be a lot simpler to merely define user
access so that they don't see the cd device at all under any
circumstances.  The reference I was reviewing along these lines is here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/admin-primer/
s1-acctsgrps-res.html

If the above is done well enough you could potentially have a group
of users with the same GID who don't have access to the cdrw, but who
can still get a reasonable amount of work done without you having to
continuously micro-manage each of their permissions -- just assign
such users to the same GID with the limited constructs you prefer.

Good Luck ... Derick