[ydl-gen] About permissions, etc. - correction

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jan 24 07:47:56 MST 2007

Hi Charles:

I was wondering wouldn't it be simpler to merely control user access
to the cdrw by changing the user assignments?

I'm referring to the UID/GID.  In other words:

1.  For instance one could change the shell the user can use.  Which
by definition restricts what a user can do.
2.  Assign the user to a GID where directory access to /mnt/cdrw is
not permitted.

I'm guessing, hopefully in a reasoned manner, that the error you're
getting regarding SigmaX is because it is in fact a cdrw which puts
it under the administration of a program called cdrecord, which
provides information to
Linux so that Linux believes it is a SCSI device -- allowing it (when
mounted)
to appear as another HD.  This also explains why the line including
SigmaX in fstab appears correct at first glance, but it may be best
(depending on which version of YDL one is using) to merely comment
that line out.

Within YDL 5, CD's and similar media mount and are available within
e17 very nicely without the need to do anything within fstab.  Of
course, SigmaX is a cdrw; it isn't an HD at all.

This is why I thought it would be a lot simpler to merely define user
access so that they don't see the cd device at all under any
circumstances.  The reference I was reviewing along these lines is here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/admin-primer/
s1-acctsgrps-res.html

If the above is done well enough you could potentially have a group
of users with the same GID who don't have access to the cdrw, but who
can still get a reasonable amount of work done without you having to
continuously micro-manage each of their permissions -- just assign
such users to the same GID with the limited constructs you prefer.

Good Luck ... Derick