[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0.2 doesn't start installer on iBook A1005 (should be G3)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 07:36:00 MDT 2007

Dear Mr. Zhang:

My comments are interspersed with yours for easier reading.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:55:56 +0800
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:

> Dear Derick Centeno
>
> Thanks for the information. Actually I have read the installation
> instruction on how to prepare harddisk before I post this message. The
> installation instruction says I should install Mac OS X on the second
> partition however I have already installed Mac OS X on the first
> partition (leaving "second partition" free, if I understand Mac OS user
> interface correctly, I have made the space after Mac OS X partition not
> partitioned and is left free). This is because installation of Mac OS X
> is done long time ago when I consider free space on second partition
> should work as well. I am not sure if having free space before Mac OS X
> partition is really important for YDL. Can someone provide some
> suggestion on this?

This is a misunderstanding regarding the use of the term "free space".
The intention in the phrase in this usage is not that space is available
only, but also that a section of the hard-drive is formatted in a
particular manner.  That particular manner (of partitioning your
drive) depends upon which tools one uses and do you intend a dual-boot
(eg. OS X and YDL) or single-boot (only YDL) system.  Please review page 3
of the installation guide for details.

Briefly, in implementing a dual-boot system it is understood that if you
have any documents you've created which you want preserved -- you should
back up everything in OS X because the instructions are fairly clear that
you are booting from the OS X Install CD.  Apple makes it very clear that
using Disk Utility for partitioning will destroy and affect not only a
portion of the hard drive but will also affect the entire drive including
the OS X partition already there.  In this specific usage Free Space means
a specific partition format which Disk Utility can produce.  Once this
format has been created by Disk Utility then the YDL installation program
will recognize that pattern and re-build that portion into the ext3 format
used by YDL -- if you choose the automatic option for installation and
building the partition once you've started the YDL installation process.
However, if YDL doesn't see the correct format pattern -- then there will
be other difficulties and YDL will not boot properly.

Returning to discussing Disk Utility:
You are really re-partitioning the hard-drive so that OS X and all
related documents fits into a smaller area of the disk (as opposed to
having control and access) over the entire disk and creating, from within
the Disk Utility -- at the same time -- the partition format which OS X
needs and the Free Space partition format from within the Disk Utility
application.  These are two different partition format schemes or
arrangements being done by Disk Utility at the same time.

After that has been completed you can return to the new smaller partition
created for OS X and reinstall your programs from the previous back up.
Or if you had no important documents unique to OS X or any of it's
applications -- then you don't need to back up OS X, just reinstall a
complete version OS X.  Or you can proceed to complete the YDL
installation process now that Disk Utility has completed it's portion of
the work.

> If this is the cause of the problem, natural user's way of thinking lead
> me to the suggest that YDL should prompt something more clear, e.g. "No
> Free Space Before Mac OS X Partition". And I am not sure if this is
> because I didn't leave free space before Mac OS X.

Regarding the interpretation or the manner of how the installation
instructions were written -- the challenge remains the very human problem
of conveying information successfully in any language.  Knowing this one of
the truly insightful means of assisting different views across the years
has been allowing users of YDL to communicate with one another via this
mailing list so that these challenges have a chance of addressing an
individual's need.

I'm sure other people will volunteer their own suggestions regarding your
query.  Hopefully, each contribution will help highlight what I or another
omitted.

Best of Luck...