[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0.2 doesn't start installer on iBook A1005 (should be G3)

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Jul 28 09:53:06 MDT 2007

在 2007-07-28六的 09:36 -0400,Derick Centeno写道:
> Dear Mr. Zhang:
[snip the parts introducing partition concepts]

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the partiticion concepts and
"free space" concepts. Your good explanation probably can be later
placed on one of the YDL reference documents serve very well for the
purpose of helping new users to get entrance knowledge on partitioning.

I didn't follow exactly the manual (sorry) but I did the partitioning in
the way I used to install Linux on x86. This is what I did:

     1. Start Disk Utility (by booting from Mac OS Install CD), enter
        harddisk partition dialog.
     2. Select 2 for number of partitions, drag the handler to make a
        1:1 devision on the harddisk;
     3. For the first part of the harddisk, I left "partition
        type" (translated back to English) the default. The second part
        of the harddisk "partition type" I selected "Free
        Space" (translated back to English).
     4. Tell Mac OS X to install on the first partition of the harddisk.
        Go on the installation. Resulted Mac OS X installaion can only
        access half of the full size of the harddisk.

>From my x86 experience, usually it doesn't matter the part of harddisk
space left for Linux is after or before the partition used by existing
OS (Windows). Generally x86 Linux installer detects any space that is
not partitioned and install itself on this space. So I am not surprised
Ubuntu did exactly this way on iBook and think YDL probably do the same.
So the YDL installation manual says I should select the 2nd half of the
harddisk to install Mac OS X, I think "it's just one way to do it,
install it on the first half works too". I am not sure if I have to
re-install my Mac OS X.

> > If this is the cause of the problem, natural user's way of thinking lead
> > me to the suggest that YDL should prompt something more clear, e.g. "No
> > Free Space Before Mac OS X Partition". And I am not sure if this is
> > because I didn't leave free space before Mac OS X.
> >

> Regarding the interpretation or the manner of how the installation
> instructions were written -- the challenge remains the very human problem
> of conveying information successfully in any language.  Knowing this one of
> the truly insightful means of assisting different views across the years
> has been allowing users of YDL to communicate with one another via this
> mailing list so that these challenges have a chance of addressing an
> individual's need.

I don't understand this... I have a bit of difficulty understanding
English santences that have many sub-santences in it. But anyway I take
it as "It's hard or impossible for installer to always prompts right the
way needed so you better ask the list when confused."

I *guess* the main reason is my model is simply not supported... kernel
problem.