[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0.2 doesn't start installer on iBook - correction

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 17:01:36 MDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:53:06 +0800
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:

> 在 2007-07-28六的 09:36 -0400,Derick Centeno写道:
> > Dear Mr. Zhang:
> [snip the parts introducing partition concepts]
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation of the partiticion concepts and
> "free space" concepts. Your good explanation probably can be later
> placed on one of the YDL reference documents serve very well for the
> purpose of helping new users to get entrance knowledge on partitioning.

This effort was just my attempt to assist in clarification.

> I didn't follow exactly the manual (sorry) but I did the partitioning in
> the way I used to install Linux on x86. This is what I did:

> snipped

> Ubuntu did exactly this way on iBook and think YDL probably do the same.
> So the YDL installation manual says I should select the 2nd half of the
> harddisk to install Mac OS X, I think "it's just one way to do it,
> install it on the first half works too". I am not sure if I have to
> re-install my Mac OS X.

I've also worked with Red Hat Linux for x86 systems.  However, although
some concepts are similar you should keep in mind the link I shared
earlier refers to the correct installation process for YDL.  Recall I
also shared with you a link demonstrating that Ubuntu is irrelevant for
PowerPC systems as they --the professionals who designed Ubuntu -- have
abandoned support since this past Feb.; the link I provided clarifies
their position that users of Ubuntu (such as yourself) are left to their
own means to solve whatever comes up.  If you choose to use Ubuntu, that
is fine -- however you should consult that community.

> > > If this is the cause of the problem, natural user's way of thinking
> > > lead me to the suggest that YDL should prompt something more clear,
> > > e.g. "No Free Space Before Mac OS X Partition". And I am not sure if
> > > this is because I didn't leave free space before Mac OS X.

I'm not sure what or which meaning is not being conveyed properly.  It is
quite possible I'm missing the point entirely.  I'll make a different
attempt here.

If you are booting from the Apple install CD and using Disk Utility from
that CD.  This means that when you begin Disk Utility from that CD you
have the capacity to reformat the entire drive.  Apple has a specific
warning using Disk Utility to format hard-drives; it is available within
the help system associated with Disk Utility.  You can from within OS X
also seek assistance by choosing Help or searching for Help from within
Disk Utility -- if your version OS X remains functional (depending on
whether you followed the official recommendations or not). Briefly the
warning from Apple clearly states that Disk Utility affects the entire
partition map on a hard drive.  In other words, there is no way to change
or format just one part or apparently empty partition using Disk Utility.
Apple advises that anyone using Disk Utility to back up any documents on
the OS X portion of the drive before changing any partition with Disk
Utility.

The exception to this is if you have only OS X (the operating system with
it's associated applications alone) without personal documents then
instead of backing that up -- you can just go ahead and reinstall the
entire OS X packages after Disk Utility has created a smaller partition
structure for OS X and a new partition structure marked as Free Space
within Disk Utility.  If you are not familiar with using the Disk Utility
application, you should read it's help system before you actually use it.
The information I'm sharing is from my memory of having read Apple's
instructions as to how to use Disk Utility.

Disk Utility can format the drive for OS X and for Yellow Dog Linux (YDL)--
if you follow the directions within the Yellow Dog Linux install guide.  If
you follow anything else, you can very well mess up the OS X side of the
drive making OS X unusable and you can mess up the YDL side so that the
install process fails and the YDL first boot process fails in it's turn.

Don't allow your experience to affect or inform an expectation of what
"should work".  Apple has never done anything like any other company, so
take your time to understand what Apple expects you to understand in using
Disk Utility.  It is possible to use other applications for formatting
partitions for Linux or even YDL, however those applications can't
construct or build the formatting structure which OS X needs and is
looking for -- which is why Disk Utility remains an essential tool.
If you want OS X to function and share a hard drive with YDL you need Disk
Utility to format the partition for both YDL and OS X.

> > Regarding the interpretation or the manner of how the installation

> > snipped

> I don't understand this... I have a bit of difficulty understanding
> English santences that have many sub-santences in it. But anyway I take
> it as "It's hard or impossible for installer to always prompts right the
> way needed so you better ask the list when confused."
>
> I *guess* the main reason is my model is simply not supported... kernel
> problem.

Apologies if my statement was confusing.  I was merely pointing out that
the difficulty of using any human language to convey discrete concepts is
always challenging regardless of any one person's skills.  I guess what
matters is the effort for clarification.

If the Terra Soft Solution official installation instructions remain
confusing to you ... you've come to the right list -- if you are
interested in using Yellow Dog Linux.  Someone should address your concern
regarding the kernel shortly and clarify whatever installation instructions
I could not.

Best of Luck...
========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.