[ydl-gen] Where should init scripts go within enlightenment?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:31:24 MDT 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:53:13 -0400 Derick Centeno
<aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea where init scripts for starting daemons
> should go within enlightenment?

Normally you would create a foo.desktop file that follows the
freedesktop.org desktop file spec, and reference it in the
~/.e/e/applications/startup/.order file.

> Background:
> I'm following instructions for starting the gpg-agent daemon posted
> here:
>
> http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Plugins#How_do_I_configure_gpg-agent_and_the_PGP_plugin.3F

On the other hand, this seems to suggest that it is creating
environment variables for use during your logged in session rather than
just starting a daemon.  That's what the eval command is doing, taking
the output from the gpg-agent command and executing it.  It is common
for this type of daemon to provide environment variables so that
programs using it can use those variables to access it correctly.

In this case, starting it independently via the E17 startup system
will not help you, as these environment variables will not be
available to the rest of your session.  You need to start this daemon
before you start enlightenment in order to pass the environment on.

Also, the startup script you should be putting it into depends on how
you start enlightenment, which usually means which desktop manager you
use.  YDL uses GDM by default, and I think that uses the exec line
from /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop, which in turn calls
enlightenment_start directly instead of going through some thing more
useful to you like the /usr/bin/enlightenment script.  Keep in mind
that /usr/bin/enlightenment will be overwritten with your next update
to the enlightenment package.

~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession may also be useful.  Or maybe track down any
script hooks that GDM may provide.