[ydl-gen] Programming for speed on the PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:48:39 MST 2007

I was very surprised that the spu was so much faster  than the ppu
since the spu has all of the added code needed to move the data to
and from the preferred slot.

There is some double precision in my program, but it is mostly
single. I did this to facilitate conversion to altivec which doesn't
support doubles (this was 3 years ago). One hopes that the next
generation of the cell will support doubles better (I assume that the
shrink to 65 nm will not be different in this respect).

-wn