[ydl-gen] Programming for speed on the PS3

Jonathan Bartlett jonathan at newmedio.com
Thu Mar 8 15:02:05 MST 2007

Warren Nagourney wrote:

>I was very surprised that the spu was so much faster  than the ppu
>since the spu has all of the added code needed to move the data to
>and from the preferred slot.

I don't think that adds so much, because the compiler can (a) just use
registers for all temporaries, (b) align variables so they don't have to
be shifted, and (c) schedule the preferred slot code so that it is
dual-issued with something else.

>There is some double precision in my program, but it is mostly
>single. I did this to facilitate conversion to altivec which doesn't
>support doubles (this was 3 years ago). One hopes that the next
>generation of the cell will support doubles better (I assume that the
>shrink to 65 nm will not be different in this respect).

If you ever find out something official you might post it here.

Jon