[ydl-gen] command for hard drives?

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Mon Mar 12 07:39:37 MDT 2007

Jim Ricken wrote:
> Is there a command that you can use to find out how your hard drives
> are labeled hda ,sda,etc?

One of my favorite drive-inventory tricks that I haven't head yet is the
following:
    ls /proc/ide/*/model
    cat /proc/ide/*/model
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    cat /proc/partitions
But, it doesn't tell you the device names right off, you have to put the
items together in your head -- but that's how I do it.  Running mount
and df show you what the machine is already using -- if you put that
together with the information form /proc, you can figure out what the
new hard drive is called.

Another option for inventorying ATA devices quickly would be:
    grep $ /proc/ide/*/model

If you want a smoking gun, you can ls -l /dev/hda and then match the
major number to the number in in "cat /proc/devices".  Also, running
/sbin/lspci, /sbin/lsusb, and /sbin/lsmod can also tell you a lot about
PCI cards, USB devices, and loaded kernel-modules ("device drivers and
more").

Anyway, Linux gives you a lot of information about the system -- but I
haven't yet found a convenient command-line tool that gives you a good
picture of what the system looks like.  Solaris has prtconf, which does
provide a full picture (but I usually cause it to produce too little or
too much output), and Apple has "System Profiler", but that's a GUI tool
that only runs on Mac OS X -- so I just put together my own mental image
by probing around manually.  :-)

That's probably more than you wanted to know -- but if you like to
figure out the machine, these are good tols for the job.

-Luke