[ydl-gen] Will the new Sony PlayStation3 configuration affect Yellow Dog Linux 5.x performance?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:55:46 CDT 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:57:05 -0700 "Νικολάος Διάκονος/Диакон
Николай"	<DeaconNikolai at Stanosheck.com> wrote:

> Here is the article that made me wonder:
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/09/modified-ps3-coming-to-north-america-japan-report
>
> "The report says that the European PS3 will be the first (not the
> *only*) PS3 to have the Emotion Engine
> tweaked<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070223-8912.html>—a
> decision we reported on a few weeks ago. As it turns out, Sony has
> removed the Emotion Engine, leaving that to be emulated by software
> on the powerful PS3.
> Sony also announced its intentions to move to a 65nm fab process for
> the Cell processor, which will also reduce the cost of producing the
> PS3."

None of this stuff has any thing to do with YDL.

The Cell wont work any differently, it will just be able to run a
little cooler.  YDL does not use the Emotion Engine, the lack of that
will also allow the PS3 to run o bit cooler.  With the PS3 running
cooler, less cooling will be needed.