[ydl-gen] Mplayer on the PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Fri Mar 16 22:29:21 MDT 2007

Imagine what it would be like when (and if) they start adding some of
the spe's into the mix. I have found that scalar code runs
significantly faster on an spe (providing it fits into the 256k LS)
than on the ppe - a factor of 1.5 or so. A fairly CPU intensive
raytracing program (single precision floating point) that I wrote is
equivalent to a 1.7 GHz G4 on an spe and a 1.2 GHz G4 on the ppe
(same level of optimization). I believe there is a German developer
who has written a flash player which uses several spe's and works
very well. Let's hope that more amateur developers start writing
accelerated apps for the ps3 - perhaps with the European launch
things will pick up a bit.

-wn