[ydl-gen] Mplayer on the PS3

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 16 19:16:26 MDT 2007

I picked up a PS3 last week, I'm very impressed.

In case anyone's interested, mplayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 compiled just fine,
and plays 1920x1080 video using the x11 driver  with no problems. No
dropped frames and very smooth.

I had doubted this would work, as the GPU is only supported as a
frame buffer, but it appears the little thing is just plain fast
enough to "brute force" an MPEG-4 v2 file out the HDMI port.

Top showed both main CPUs running at about 40%-50% load during
playback, so there's some headroom left. I was playing the file via
an NFS mount, stock NFS installation. mplayer was compiled with the
stock gcc, no special tweaks.

Just thought some folks might be interested, as there was some
discussion a while back about what the frame buffer could do.

I think this has potential as a nice little MythTV frontend.

A Blu-Ray player and a nice little computer for $500, what more could
you ask for?

Much thanks to all the folks at Terrasoft for making this possible.