[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:27:50 MDT 2007

On 26/03/07, Hal Martin <hal.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Just out of curiosity, can you compile wine for the Power arch?
>
>  I think it'll run Google Earth on an x86, I'll have to check...
>
>  Hal

That'd be something different. Running Google Earth under wine. I'd be
very surprised if it worked.

That said, Google Earth for Linux should run just fine under an i86
Linux on the Intel Macs.

>  Derick Centeno wrote:
>  Hi Julian!
>
> If you look carefully here on this page:
>
> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
>
> You'll see that the Linux which will run Google Earth is restricted to
> Linux which runs on Intel and compatible systems.
>
> The Cell and PowerPC systems are not part of that CPU family architecture.
>
> It sadly makes perfect sense that the Cell would outdo anything Intel
> and compatibles can do, but Google Earth was designed before the Cell
> existed in the market place.
> One could ask Google Earth to also support the PowerPC and the Cell or
> perhaps just the Cell. But Google Earth does not appear to be open
> source as Linux, Mozilla and many other projects are.
>
> In other words, I'm saying that there is not a great chance that Google
> will begin working to support the Cell or the PowerPC -- even if it made
> sense to do so -- anytime soon. You may just have to accept that Google
> Earth is not available for the Cell and PowerPC architecture.
>
> Good Luck ... Derick

I'd be surprised if Google _ever_ made a PPC Linux version of Google
Earth. The reality is that the days of Linux on the PPC are numbered
(unless the PS3 takes the world by storm ;-). The market is just too
small given that no first tier (or even second tier) PC manufacturer
is still using PPC (unless Linux on a PS3 takes off, but I'd expect to
see Google Earth for "native" PS3 and xBox before they'd take on a
Linux on a game console).