[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Mon Mar 26 20:44:38 MDT 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 26/03/07, Hal Martin <hal.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Just out of curiosity, can you compile wine for the Power arch?
>>
>>  I think it'll run Google Earth on an x86, I'll have to check...
>>
>>  Hal
>
> That'd be something different. Running Google Earth under wine. I'd be
> very surprised if it worked.

It won't. WINE emulates the Windows environment but not the x86 CPU
architecture, it needs to have a real or an emulated x86 chip to talk
to.

OTOH there are x86 emulators out there that run on the PPC.
Commercially there's Microsoft's Virtual PC, it works but is pretty
slow. There's BOCHS (even slower) and I've seen reports that QEMU
will compile and run on a PPC target.

http://perso.magic.fr/l_indien/qemu-ppc/

The latest news on QEMU is from 2005, before the Cel was available,
so I don't know if anybody's tried it.

Another item for my "todo" list I guess :-)