[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:56:28 MDT 2007

On 26/03/07, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:27:44 -0600 Brian Wood <beww at bresnan.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:10 PM, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > > Also, just for fun, has anyone tried the PS3 folding at home client?
> > > Dang fast.  If anyone wants to join, my team number is 59478.
> >
> > CNN had a story on that, fast as heck but it also draws considerable
> > power, on the order of 200 watts. Running that 24/7, especially
> > someplace like California or NYC, would start to add up fast.
>
> Compared to my Athlon 3000 which is running over 200 watts, but doing
> only about a tenth of the work in it's folding at home client.
>
> A 200 watt power supply is about the minimum you will get in a low end
> PC these days, so it's not really "considerable power" for the huge
> amount of number crunching you are doing.  That's one of the reasons
> Cell processors are attractive for clustering, more bang per watt.
>
> P.S. My Athlon actually has a 400 watt power supply, but it could
> probably get away with 300 when all parts of it are running hard.

Your 200 W power supply won't draw 200 W all the time. It's just rated
to go up to 200 W. Chances are it's drawing 75-100 W when idle and
100-150 W when doing Folding at Home (I'm glad to see people devoting
their CPU cycles to a worthwhile project (vs. SETI at Home which has been
far less productive vs. FAH)). Maybe a little more when your video
card is doing stuff.

Eric.