[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:13:19 MDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:56:28 -0400 "Eric Dunbar"
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/03/07, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:27:44 -0600 Brian Wood <beww at bresnan.net>
> > wrote:

> > > CNN had a story on that, fast as heck but it also draws
> > > considerable power, on the order of 200 watts. Running that 24/7,
> > > especially someplace like California or NYC, would start to add
> > > up fast.
> >
> > Compared to my Athlon 3000 which is running over 200 watts, but
> > doing only about a tenth of the work in it's folding at home client.
> >
> > A 200 watt power supply is about the minimum you will get in a low
> > end PC these days, so it's not really "considerable power" for the
> > huge amount of number crunching you are doing.  That's one of the
> > reasons Cell processors are attractive for clustering, more bang
> > per watt.
> >
> > P.S. My Athlon actually has a 400 watt power supply, but it could
> > probably get away with 300 when all parts of it are running hard.
>
> Your 200 W power supply won't draw 200 W all the time. It's just rated
> to go up to 200 W. Chances are it's drawing 75-100 W when idle and
> 100-150 W when doing Folding at Home (I'm glad to see people devoting
> their CPU cycles to a worthwhile project (vs. SETI at Home which has been
> far less productive vs. FAH)). Maybe a little more when your video
> card is doing stuff.

I said it was a 400 watt power supply.  I actually tested it, and under
heavy load with everything running at full pelt it draws a tad over 300
watts.  It has a few more things in it than just the CPU and a graphics
card, which is why a 400 watt power supply is needed.  Room for future
growth.

The point is, as far as bang per watt is concerned, the PS3 running the
folding at home client is not using a really large amount of
electricity for the amount of work it gets done.  You are still better
off running it on a single PS3 than on half a dozen desktop computers.
Running the GPU folding at home client is a different matter though.

If you are really concerned about power usage, buy a mains power meter
and measure your usage.  Measure every electric device you use, don't
just rely on wild guesses and what people say on web sites or mailing
lists.

As far as SETI at home is concerned, I sometimes use my PS3 for it's
intended use, playing games.  Some of those games involve aliens with
guns.  So I guess I'd rather shoot aliens than talk to them, and cure
cancer in my spare time.  To any actual aliens watching, I'm only
kidding.  B-)