[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:56:19 MDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:48:36 -0400 "Eric Dunbar"
<eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/03/07, Brian Wood <beww at bresnan.net> wrote:

> > > Wasn't that one of the reasons Apple cited for going with Intel
> > > chips? PPC chips simply were "too hot to handle" <groan> in terms
> > > of their power consumption (and, indirectly, heat production).
> >
> > Yeah, the promised G5 notebook never materialized due to power and
> > heat problems, and consequently battery life. My G5 iMac gets close
> > to 180 degrees when working hard, and idles at around 125.
>
> You're presumably talking in Fahrenheit (I'm guessing you're from the
> US ;-)?
>
> 52 degrees C is quite warm (125 Fahrenheit) and 82 degrees C (180
> degrees F... 1.8 F = 1.0 C) sounds like it's way beyond the safe
> operating long-term temperature for a CPU.

Depends on the CPU.  My Athlon 3000 is rated to 90 degrees C for
instance.  I haven't checked the specs for the Cell, and I haven't
found a way to check the temperature of the Cell in my PS3.  I know
that the Cell chip has lots of temperature sensors on it.

There is good evidence that Apples decision to move to Intel was not on
technical grounds.