[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:59:52 MDT 2007

On 27/03/07, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:48:36 -0400 "Eric Dunbar"
> <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, the promised G5 notebook never materialized due to power and
> > > heat problems, and consequently battery life. My G5 iMac gets close
> > > to 180 degrees when working hard, and idles at around 125.
> >
> > You're presumably talking in Fahrenheit (I'm guessing you're from the
> > US ;-)?
> >
> > 52 degrees C is quite warm (125 Fahrenheit) and 82 degrees C (180
> > degrees F... 1.8 F = 1.0 C) sounds like it's way beyond the safe
> > operating long-term temperature for a CPU.
>
> Depends on the CPU.  My Athlon 3000 is rated to 90 degrees C for
> instance.  I haven't checked the specs for the Cell, and I haven't
> found a way to check the temperature of the Cell in my PS3.  I know
> that the Cell chip has lots of temperature sensors on it.
>
> There is good evidence that Apples decision to move to Intel was not on
> technical grounds.

I don't know enough about i86 vs. PPC in terms of CPU power but I do
know I'll appreciate some of the spin off effects. Once the Linuxes
get around to fully supporting the Intel Macs it means that, for all
practical purposes, there will be only one architecture for Linux
binaries (which means we'll get access to all the Intel binaries like
Google Earth without having to play second fiddle (though, given the %
of Linux users on Intel Mac that's not really that important ;-).

Eric.