[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 27 09:28:20 MDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

>> Yeah, the promised G5 notebook never materialized due to power and
>> heat problems, and consequently battery life. My G5 iMac gets close
>> to 180 degrees when working hard, and idles at around 125.
>
> You're presumably talking in Fahrenheit (I'm guessing you're from
> the US ;-)?
>
> 52 degrees C is quite warm (125 Fahrenheit) and 82 degrees C (180
> degrees F... 1.8 F = 1.0 C) sounds like it's way beyond the safe
> operating long-term temperature for a CPU.

Yes, I'm a yank and I'm using Lord Fahrenheit's strange temperature
scale. It actually derives from 100 degrees being human body
temperature and zero being the coldest normally experienced in
England. He was off a tad on body temp but actually pretty close
considering the technology of his day, as "normal" body temp is
considered to be 98.6 degrees these days.

The G5 only hits 170 - 180 when working hard, and settles down pretty
fast at idle of 125, still too hot IMHO. No way around it, G5s run
HOT, but the thing is so bloody useful I just figure if it burns out
I'll just replace it.

Sorry for the OT.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org