[ydl-gen] Java and SPUs

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Wed May 9 09:03:37 MDT 2007

Paulo,

> If you really want to explore the SPUs just use C/C++.
>
> For each situation just use the right tool.

While I generally agree with this (and other things that solve the
"if all you have is a hammer ..." problem), I can see Randy's point.
I'm not much into Java (i'm more of a C / C++ person), but I was
asked about the feasibility of porting our app (which currently runs
on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX) to the PS3, and after realizing that
large, large pieces of it would have to be completely rewritten to
properly take advantage of the processing power available on the
Cell, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it's not feasible at
this point.  99% of our code is cross-platform, but 20-30% (or more)
would need to be PS3-specific, which makes the project as a whole
harder to maintain, harder to justify to management, etc.

So, i'm all for C / C++ compilers, JVMs and other higher-level tools
that do the auto-parallelism, auto-SIMD stuff.  The Cell is amazing,
and while I personally love being a low-level developer, multiple-
platform support without doing the least-common-denominator thing
demands smarter tools.  I'm hopeful that compilers, JVMs, etc. will
grow in this regard.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com