[ydl-gen] kboot help on the PS3

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:15:42 MDT 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007 10:46:59 -0400 (EDT) "Dave B. Sharp"
<daveb_sharp at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I have compiled up a new kernel, modified the
> kboot.conf and kboot can not seem to find my new
> kernel image, leaving my Linux partition unusable. Is
> there a rescue procedure or disk. I tried
> /boot/vmlinux... /boot/...img root=... without
> success. The install instructions suggest that you can
> tab through the boot options like with grub or yaboot
> but I have yet to be able to do that. When I put the
> ydl install disk in the system automatically boots
> from the hard drive and not the dvd. I can't seem to
> find much on the kboot boot loaeder, I am guessing
> this is a proprietary loader. Any suggestions?

Kboot is not proprietary, check out http://kboot.sourceforge.net/ for
details.  You should be able to get the source code for the PS3 version
from Sony.

Did you keep the original kernel and it's kboot entry?  When installing
a new kernel, it's always best to play it safe, leave the old kernel as
default and install the new one as a boot option until you have tested
it thoroughly.  When it's working fine, install the new one as default
but keep the old one as an option.

Tabbing through the boot options works fine here, you could also just
type the label of the kernel you want to boot, "ydltext" for instance.
The label "install" or "installtext" should start the install process.
Kboot is a kernel plus busybox configured as a boot loader, so you can
drop into a Linux shell at the kboot prompt, for details see the kboot
website.  You should be able to mount your hard drive and edit
kboot.conf to fix things up.