[ydl-gen] running ydl 5.0.1 on a powerbook lombard

DataZap az at datazap.net
Fri May 25 22:09:02 MDT 2007

Hi,

A while ago I bought a powerbook lombard to run YDL on it and I did a
while ago, but set it to have a cpu, cache, hard drive and memory upgrade
done to it, and it came back with OSX 10.3 on it. It seemed to work pretty
well, so I left it on it, but now it just seems to be very slow even doing
very simple things. So, I am really consedering putting YDL 5.0.1 on it.
There are a few problems. Apple PowerBook Lombard 333-400MHz G3, 1999-2000
has not been tested. So, does anyone have any ideas if it will work? I
also added a PCMCIA wireless network card and I would really like that to
work too.

One of the things that I liked about OSX is that all those ecards people
like to send me, and quicktime moves worked. Also, I am having a cross
promotion system for my website built that uses flash/shockwave to be used
on eBay, and it would be nice to be able to see it working. There just
doesn't seem to be the support for them in Linux that there should be,
just wondering if things are any better now?

Still right now with OSX there are some files that I am not able to view.
Like .wmf files. I also can't seem to run some Java appls that require a
newer version of Java. It would really be nice to having things like this
working too.

I am not really happy with the decision apple made to switch to intel and
that is just one more reason to pull OSX of this powerbook, but still I
need to be able to get my work done too.

Also, one of the upgrades that I had done to this computer was putting in
a G4. If I do go ahead and install YDL, I would really like to recompile
everything to optimize it for this processor.

Thanks,
Al