[ydl-gen] running ydl 5.0.1 on a powerbook lombard

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon May 28 14:58:10 MDT 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:11:45 -0700 (PDT)
DataZap <az at datazap.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thankyou for your email. I appreciate your advice. I was just
> wondering if there is anything that I can do to improve performance
> of OSX?
>
> Thanks,
> Al

Hi Al,

Considering that you are running OS X on a Lombard you may be able to
improve performance by shutting down non-essential processes.  However,
as you start to do that you may have to sacrifice those very things
which you expressed as being important to you.

It is unfortunate but the attractive Flash movies and other like
technologies are under the licensed control of Adobe and other companies
who have not - yet - seen fit to make their products available to
PowerPC based Linux.  It is possible to add your name to a list of
others requesting such technology be released -- Adobe does have a
place for people to make such comments/recommendations.  However I
believe that same suggestions/recommendations page has been around for
years.

Frankly the users of PowerPC computers is a very small market.
Those who use PowerPC based Linux comprise an even smaller market,
still.  Unless there is an explosion of PowerPC based Linux users with
the PS3, Wii and Xbox, the current lack of available components such as
Flash and other interesting programs -- to run within a PowerPC Linux
environment -- will continue.

You may be able to best maximize what your Lombard can do by using
either an earlier version of YDL -- which would mean you don't have to
wait for YDL 5 to be tested.  You may be surprised at how useful an
earlier version of YDL could be given the hardware you are using.
That's if you come to accept however what can be done within YDL; you
will have:

* a complete server and client system
* a nice array of computing languages

and more, but you will still not have the facilities you which
you earlier stated as appreciating in OS X or even Windows.

If you are set on YDL 5, then take a careful look at the Supported
Devices for the card you stated you have. However, the situation with
your Lombard makes things complex:

* it's been upgraded
* you have a PC card

The card or other devices listed on the hardware pages may be
functional for standard or original PowerPC hardware running YDL 5.
You'll therefore have to read the fine print regarding how the devices
and upgrade you made works with YDL 5 rather carefully.

Best of luck...
========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.