[ydl-gen] Updated yum.conf?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon May 28 16:32:40 MDT 2007

Hi Steve:

There are many other mirrors you could point yum.conf to for YDL 4, but
the variation in packages/software would be rather small.  I believe
the official TSS position is that it is better to upgrade from YDL
4.0.1 to YDL 4.1 by starting from a completely fresh install of YDL
4.1.  The reason is that there are too many changes between YDL 4.0.1
and YDL 4.1 to just use yum.

If you are looking for the latest version of YDL for your PowerPC Mac
however, the current incarnation is YDL 5.  You'll have to check the
TSS website to see if YDL 5 will run on your machine.

The changes between YDL 4, YDL 4.1 and YDL 5 are vast and I'm very
sure that yum should not be modified so that it points to the more
current versions of YDL.  In other words, I'm very sure that it's a bad
idea as you're at YDL 4.0.1, to have your version of yum.conf point to
YDL 4.1 and higher.  It is better to download and install YDL 4.1 and
stay there if that is as high a version as your Mac can go.

You can explore other options here or via the Yellow Dog Board
(http://yellowdog-board.com/).

Good Luck...

On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:39:56 -0700
Steve Sergeant <stevesgt at effable.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen any updates come down from running "yum update" for
> over a year.  Should there have been some?  I'm sure that there have
> been some security updates for various packages in that time.
snipped...

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.