[ydl-gen] Kernel hacking

Takashi Nakamura nakamura at fixstars.com
Thu Nov 15 18:21:03 MST 2007

Hi Warren.

> For a number of reasons, I have gone into the kernel hacking business
> in YDL 5.02 on a PS3 and started by taking the 2.6.23 kernel (from
> the most recent CELL linux ADDON iso) and compiling it, following the
> instructions in the Cell Performance article on making huge pages. I
> made the appropriate changes in the kboot.conf file to reflect the
> new kernel and tried to boot. SInce this is my first attempt at
> kernel manufacture, I was not surprised that it didn't work: I got an
> error message "switchroot: mount failed" and a kernel panic.

Name of PS3 storage device is renamed to '/dev/ps3daN' from '/dev/sdN'
on 2.6.23 kernel.
So, name of root device is changed to '/dev/ps3da2'.

Did you change name of root device in 'kboot.conf'?

You must change name of root device in 'kboot.conf' as follows :
|  ydl_htlb      ='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux-2.6.16_HTLB initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd-2.6.16_HTLB.img \
|  root=/dev/ps3da2 init=/sbin/init video=ps3fb:mode:3 rhgb'

Regards.
--
Takashi Nakamura<nakamura at fixstars.com>