[ydl-gen] Direct Rendering support for PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:36:57 MST 2007

I stretched the window to about 900x900 and the speed dropped to
about 30 fps. The "chunks" now came about 2 seconds apart.

I agree that the PS3 is not yet a good choice for graphics. My
understanding is that the people doing "unofficial" development using
the RSX now have an accelerated Xorg for 2D operations and a means of
accelerating 3D as well, though not via OpenGL.  The latter might
never happen: the "nouveau" 3D driver project for the Nvidia boards
hasn't gotten OpenGL to work yet despite having several years and 40+
developers. The current RSX project has 2+ developers (brilliant
though they are) and has been in existence for several weeks. I am
hoping to use their efforts, though I will need to switch to a Fedora
6+ installation, since YDL doesn't support a sufficiently recent
glibc or Xorg.

Good luck.

Warren N